Although chiropractic care does not focus on back pain, it is actually the most common reason why patients engage in chiropractic treatment. Neck pain and headache only come second and third as the most common reasons why individuals visit chiropractors.
Facts and Statistics about Back Pain
- According to a 2010 study of Global Burden of Disease, low back pain is the top major cause of injuries and disabilities worldwide.
- About 31 million Americans suffer from low back pain at any particular period of time.
- Half of working Americans revealed that they experience symptoms of back pain every year.
- Back pain is one of the most popular reasons why employees and staff miss work. Additionally, it is the second most popular reason why patients go to the doctor. The top reason is upper-respiratory disorders.
- Most cases of low back pain are considered non-organic or mechanical, which is caused by an underlying serious condition, including cancer, fracture, infection, or inflammatory arthritis.
- Americans spend more that USD 50 billion every year on back pain, whether cure, treatment, prevention, rehabilitation, or medication.
- Experts foresee that about 80% of the population will experience from any kind of back problem at some point in their lives.
Common Causes of Back Pain
As it is composed of a complicated structure of bones, muscles, ligaments, and joints, the back can be injured easily. If you fail to take care of your back or do not avoid accidents, you may suffer from strained muscles, sprained ligaments, irritated joints, or ruptured discs among many others. Below are the typical causes of back pain.
- Sport injuries and accidents
- Poor posture
- Emotional or psychological stress
- Disorder of internal organs, including kidney disorders, kidney stones, blood clot, and bone loss
If you are experiencing back pain and you have identified the reason behind it, you should immediately seek medical advice and look for the best cure.
Manipulation as Treatment for Back Problems
One option you have for back pain treatment is chiropractic. Spinal manipulation, the most common chiropractic procedure being done, is increasingly becoming more and more popular around the world due to its cost-effectiveness and proven results.
Chiropractic spinal manipulation is a pain relief treatment that is considered safe and effective. By manipulating or making adjustments to nerves and joints in the back, this procedure can minimize pain, restore full functionality of the joints, and decreases the use of medication. Additionally, it provides immediate results compared to physical therapy, and requires minimal treatment of other forms, such as bed rest or exercises.
How to Prevent Back Pain
While back pain can be a real hassle and inconvenience, the good news is it can be prevented. Here are some smart ways on how you can prevent back pain:
- Maintain a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
- Remain active and engage in different kinds of sports. However, if you have had a previous case of back pain, make sure to do activities and exercises under the knowledge and supervision of your chiropractor.
- Avoid prolonged idleness such as bed rest and couch potato.
- Do regular exercises and make sure to warm up first.
- Keep a good posture when sitting, standing, and walking. Avoid sitting all day in the office. Get up and move around every once in a while.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Avoid high heels.
- When lifting, carry the object close to your body and lift with your knees.
- Connect with your chiropractor regularly so he can monitor your condition.